Heel pain is a chronic, unwelcome companion for millions. Often it can come and go, returning regularly for those who’ve struggled with it in the past—and when it arrives, it can turn work, hobbies, even vacations into misery.
At Absolute Foot Care Specialists, we’re not just about treating your heel pain when it occurs—we want to help you get to a point where it stops coming back. Here are some tips that can help prevent future flare ups:
- Make sure you’ve got the right shoes, especially if you’re an athlete. A specialty store can help you make smart choices about shape, fit, and appropriateness for your activity. Shoes also wear down over time, so if the cushioning is worn down—even if the outside of the shoe is still in decent shape—it’s time for a new pair.
- Keep your feet fit with regular stretches and exercise for your plantar fascia and calves. These are generally quite simple and easy to work into your daily routine. For specific details about the stretches we recommend, click here.
- If heel pain is a constant struggle for you, custom orthotics will very likely provide the additional cushioning and support you need. Many cases of heel pain come down to biomechanics, and custom orthotics are the perfect, personalized tool to address them.
- Moderate your training or exercise routine. People who run several days per week or play a lot of high-impact sports often suffer from heel pain due to the constant stresses and lack of enough recovery time. Switch out a few running days and replace them with workouts that aren’t as stressful on the feet—think weight training, swimming, going for a bike ride, or even just going for a walk.
- Don’t rush into new activities too quickly. If you’ve just recommitted yourself to getting in shape, joined a new rec league, or started up a new sport, start slow and give your body (and your heels) time to adjust.
Remember, heel pain is not a normal part of life—it’s a very clear signal that something is wrong and needs to be fixed. Reaching out to the professionals early, at the first sign of symptoms, can save you a lot of pain, time, and stress. Get in touch with the Absolute Foot Care Specialists today by calling (702) 839-2010.